Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Final Thoughts on the Course


Overall I enjoyed creative writing although I fell behind very quickly. We did so many interesting assignments that you wouldn’t normally do in a regular English class. My favourite assignment would probably be the Buried Life project. It was a lot of work and took a while, but I think it turned out well. The presentation part I didn’t like just because I hate public speaking, but the project itself was a great idea! My least favourite assignment would be the weekly reading reflections. I don’t like reading much to begin with and then having to write about it every week was difficult for me. Friday reading classes were a good opportunity to continue reading and catch up on your book, but honestly by the time Friday came around I just didn’t want to be at school. Monday writing and reading reflections weren’t too bad because they didn’t have to be that long, but even waking up on Monday is already hard enough, let alone thinking about what you read last week. We didn’t use our WRN much because of the blogs, but I personally like the blog idea better. It’s a great way to see what everyone else is up to and if you miss a day or need an assignment from weeks back its all up there for you. The tweeting though I could have gone without. I feel like twitter especially for high school students shouldn’t be connected with school. Hence why I had to make a new account. Like I mentioned before I like the idea of the blog. In a previous English class we tried using blogs and it ended up not working because computer problems and no one knew how to use them, but in this class I feel like we had much more time to figure it out and were taught all the little tricks to make it more fun and exciting. As a writer I learned that writing about things that have happened in my life is way easier than writing a fictional story or poems or anything like that. Having more background knowledge makes it easier to work out the details. As a reader, to be honest nothing really changed. I have a hard time staying interested in any book, but it did motivate me to finally read The Hunger Games!
Ms. McLauchlan did a great job teaching this course, and even though I was accidentally placed in this class I’m happy I stayed. And as for the future creative writing students my only advice would be to stay on top on things! Don’t let yourself fall behind because it’s easy to just not do the assignments, but so hard to catch up in the end.

Have a great summer!!

No comments:

Post a Comment